Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mothers, Are We Preachers At Home?


Be A Preacher At Home Dear godly Mothers, Our Children Will Benefit Greatly!


Yesterday, June 30, 2009, I was with my 21 year old daughter, sitting in the parked car while we waited for my son to finish his piano lesson. We had decided to wait at the park and read the Bible out-loud to each other since we are learning the power of the spoken Word of God.
While sitting we observed 3 boys who had just arrived at the park, they must have been about 13, 12 and 11 years of age. It was a wet and soggy day so the park was empty, except for the boys. Leah was reading to me and I watched those boys as they balanced and ran on a large fountain rim, then pulled out some picnic tables and jumped on them. As I watched I heard a "still small voice" say, "go talk to them about me".. I mused.. "ummm what, ummm really?" "Go talk to them about me, it will effect them for their entire lives." I looked at Leah and told her that God the Lord just told me to go give those boys the gospel, "so let's pray"... I felt ashamed for being so slow to obey, and got out of the car, with Bible in hand walked over to them.

"Hi there! Hey have you got ten minutes to talk about something?" The oldest boy, who had pierced rings on either side of his lower lip asked,"What about?", (I answer)......."The Bible." He jerked back as if hit, "No! I don't believe in God."........ "Don't believe in God? How can this be? just look at the grass and trees, nature and all He has created, How can you not believe in Him?" The youngest boy wanting to please the older chimed in that he didn't believe either. Eric, who must be about 12 yrs. took the gospel tract that the others refused and stood still with interest in what I had to say, so I began to show him scriptures in the Bible. Genesis and John is where God lead me and explained about creation and how God made man from the dust of the earth, also about sin and what Jesus did for us on the cross. Eric admitted his sin and I asked him what he has done about that sin, since God cannot have sin in heaven nor can He look upon sin. I pointed him to Jesus on the cross and His sacrifice, taking our sin upon himself, becoming sin for us and about his need to believe in Jesus and repent of his sin. I told him that Jesus Christ is God and that He arose from the dead and is alive forever more. During the whole time I was talking to Eric the other two boys tried all they could to interrupt me. They kept pulling on Eric and trying to get him to leave saying, "Why listen to her, you have better things to do with your time." I asked them, "Why do you hate God? Why don't you want to listen to the Bible, are you afraid to hear God's Word?" They were both very nervous when I read the Bible to Eric, the youngest ran over to me, grabbed my Bible and tried to pull it out of my hands, but God had given me a good grip on it and he couldn't, I said, "Young sir, this is my Bible." I asked him what he would do with it? he answered, "I'd burn it." The older boy took the tract away from Eric and pretended to rip it apart. I gave Eric another tract and told him to put it in his pocket right away or they would take that too, and he listened to me. The two boys took up pine cones and threw them at me trying to stop me from talking. I encouraged him to read the tract and look up the scriptures from it in his Bible and pray for God to show him the truth. Eric thanked me for talking to him, and I left. (Please pray for this child and the other boys.)

Mothers! With great earnestness, teach your children the Word of God! Eric was different than the other two boys... why? I don't know the answer, but here is a clue, he told me he had a Bible at home and had heard something about God, he knew a little bit about what I told him. The other two boys made me think of two demons running around trying to keep Eric from learning about God, (Leah, who was watching, praying, and reading the Bible out-loud in the car) told me that they looked like two demons to her.

This whole affair sobers* me so much! We as mothers must be keepers at home and preachers at home... love Jesus Christ the Lord, learn about Him, draw close to Him, obey, reverence, fear and honor Him, He is God, Creator of heaven and earth! *As we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us. We will be more like Jesus, He will lead us in the way we should go! *Our children will benefit as we seek God, they will learn to do the same as we set the example in our words and living till our very lives are "preachers at home". Let us be sober! The lives of our children are at stake.. Who will they be like?

*Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. (1 Peter 5:8-10)

*Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye doubleminded. (James 4:8)

*and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thy house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thy hand, and they shall be for frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the door-posts of thy house, and upon thy gates.
(Deuteronomy 6:7-9)

4 comments:

Leah said...

Thank you dear Momma, for obeying God's voice. It was and is an amazing example to me. I am praying for Eric and the other boys, God is mighty to save.

sarah said...

God bless you dear Leah for your kind encouragement!

Praise our wonderful Lord Jesus forever!

I love you,
Momma :-)

Anonymous said...

There is no coincidence. God had a plan with this boy and He used you to fulfill it. What a blessing to be a tool in God's hand. That day you shared a Gospel in that park but in the same time there was great spiritual fight over this boy soul. And I pray that he would repent and cry out to God.

sarah said...

You are right, Natasa, the spiritual battle was great.

Doesn't it make you wonder what God has in store for Eric?

May God bring him to our minds often to pray for him as you said, for his repentance and to cry out to God.

God bless you dear sister.
love,
Sarah