Friday, July 8, 2011

Mothers, Are We Losing The Rich Old Hymns To Sing Songs?

Dearest Mothers,

Oh I have been praying and thinking of so many things to share with you! I find as I'm busy with my prayer walks very often something will come to mind and I'd like to run to the computer and type it out immediately. However, it so often happens during my prayer walks and I don't want to leave that sweet time I'm having with my Lord Jesus, it's just too wonderful of a time! Remember the song: " I Come to The Garden Alone?" Well the last verse says; "I'd stay in the garden with Him though the night around me be falling, But He bides me go; through the voice of woe, His voice to me is calling"... the great chorus continues; " And He walks with me and HE talks with me and He tells me I am His own, and the joy we share and we tarry there, none other has ever known."

Actually, dear mothers, I am so blessed to have had a mother that taught me old Hymns as I was growing up. Where ever I am, (or go) Hymns pop up into my mind and I can sing many of the verses. Oh what a comfort they are to me!

When the Lord Jesus saved me 21 years ago and began to teach me much needed lessons, He brought those old Hymns to my memory. I began to teach them to my youngest children as my mother had taught them to me. Now that they are grown they know about as many as I do which may be a comfort to them someday.

My mother left me a legacy of old hymn knowledge, I love old hymns.

Much can be said about hymns that glorify God... The words of most of the old hymns are DEEP. The words of most of the old hymns have great substance!
The music put to them are usually pleasant and easily sung. When singing them one can express great depths of praise to God.


I know that there are many newer songs that Christians really enjoy and delight to sing. But there is a problem that is very evident and happening to many, many Christian families and their children... they are losing the meaningful and deep hymns.
I don't know if that bothers you, but it does me. The new songs can be glorifying to God and allot of fun to sing.. they can stir feelings of excitement and emotion to a person but what about the words? If you will take a truthful look at the words of those songs you will discover repetition, repetition, repetition and honestly, why?

In the old Hymns often times there is repetition of the chorus, but the verses are deep and obviously given by God through His Spirit...

See the words of this beautiful Hymn:

Jesus Thy Blood and Righteousness
By: Nicolaus Von Zinzidorf 1739

Jesus, Thy blood and righteousness
My beauty are, my glorious dress;
’Midst flaming worlds, in these arrayed,
With joy shall I lift up my head.


Bold shall I stand in Thy great day;
For who aught to my charge shall lay?
Fully absolved through these I am
From sin and fear, from guilt and shame.


The holy, meek, unspotted Lamb,
Who from the Father’s bosom came,
Who died for me, e’en me to atone,
Now for my Lord and God I own.


Lord, I believe Thy precious blood,
Which, at the mercy seat of God,
Forever doth for sinners plead,
For me, e’en for my soul, was shed.


When from the dust of death I rise
To claim my mansion in the skies,
Ev’n then this shall be all my plea,
Jesus hath lived, hath died, for me.


Jesus, the endless praise to Thee,
Whose boundless mercy hath for me—
For me a full atonement made,
An everlasting ransom paid.


O let the dead now hear Thy voice;
Now bid Thy banished ones rejoice;
Their beauty this, their glorious dress,
Jesus, Thy blood and righteousness.


To hear the song go here and play the midi file:
http://www.biblestudycharts.com/SH_Jesus_Thy_Blood.html


Dear sweet mothers, here is a challenge for you.. teach your children the old hymns!

Start with this one, learn it and teach it! you will be doing your children a great kindness. This hymns is deep and involved, but not too hard to learn. Your children will really love it in days ahead.

Just one more thing... the hymns just might not appeal to you nor your family. If you feed your children candy and sweets all the time they won't feel like eating the good nutritional foods. The newer praise songs are more like the sweets.. the Hymns nutritional! Take the time, feed on some good soul rich food!

I hope to post more Hymns for a challenge for you to learn...
Let me know how you are doing!

In our Saviors love,

Sarah























2 comments:

Leah said...

It is sadly true that many do not know the riches of the old hymns. The hymns that you have taught me growing up are a great blessing to me and already I am teaching them to Grace so that she will be blessed by them as well! Not only are they deeply rich in doctrine but also in praise and glory to our Lord Jesus. Let us proclaim the works of the Lord, let us tell WHY we are praising Him, He has and is doing marvelous things!

sarah said...

Thank you Leah, you encourage me very much!
God bless you!

much love,
Mom